Software developers are in high demand right now with a projected 22.8-percent employment growth for software developers through 2022. Software developers can expect to find employment in a range of industries, including computer systems design, electronic product manufacturing, finance, web-based systems, and network security.
The profession’s superb job prospects, low unemployment rate, and excellent median salary landed it the top spot in the US News & World Report's Best Jobs rankings.
Content Area Overview:
- Provides a foundation in tool, techniques, and principles that underlie modern software development;
- Understand object-oriented programming and the core principles that make object technology the most used approach to building complex software systems;
- Learn to write code to solve a variety of problems;
- Create effective unit tests for all codes;
- Learn all aspects of the software lifecycle: requirements, design, testing, and maintenance;
- Explore traditional models like the waterfall and special attention on agile development models and techniques: refactoring and continuous integration;
- Learn the Unified Modeling Language (UML);
- Apply object-oriented design patterns;
- Learn details of distributed computing and builds from developing a stand-alone library to designing and developing an operational web-based service that is accessible via web browsers and mobile devices;
- Manage, design, and develop complex software systems.
CS 5044: Object-Oriented Programming with Java
CS 5244: Web Application Development
CS 5254: Mobile Application Development
Did You Know?
Virginia Tech has more than 15 years of serving as an industry leader in online master of information technology programs, and was recently ranked #2 in U.S. News & World Report, along with the following distinctions:
- Student Engagement Ranked #1
- Outstanding Faculty Ranked #2
Plan Your Study: