Experts have predicted that the demand for security specialists will double over the next few years. A career that barely existed two decades ago has become one of the fastest-growing occupations in the United States. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 36-percent employment growth for this profession by 2022.
In these days of ever-expanding technology, the role of the network security professional has become essential for protecting consumers, businesses, government agencies, and citizens in general. Effective network security requires identifying threats of all types and creating the most effective strategy to stop them. In addition to software and hardware knowledge, it also includes educating employees about their security responsibilities.
Learn more: Mastering Your Career in Data Security. Insights from VT-MIT Professor Randy Marchany.
- Basic design and organization of computer systems;
- Fundamentals of computer and network security;
- Learn to analyze a client-server IT infrastructure for security weakness;
- Wireless security and trust aspects of mobile and ad hoc computer networks;
- Analyze attacks and create countermeasures at the transport, network, data link, and physical layers; and
- Implement security and trust controls for malicious behavior prevention, detection, and recovery.
Did You Know?
Virginia Tech has more than 15 years of serving as an industry leader in online master of information technology programs, and was recently ranked #2 in U.S. News & World Report, along with the following distinctions:
- Student Engagement Ranked #1
- Outstanding Faculty Ranked #2
Plan Your Study: